Muscle tension in the neck is a common issue. There are many reasons that neck pain occurs, including injury and poor posture. Free Body Physical Therapy can help with any of your neck pain Chicago problems. With an individualized physical therapy plan, we will make sure you can get back to being at your best!
Causes of Neck Tension
There are many causes of neck pain Chicago. Some examples include:
- Repetitive Motion: People who perform repetitive motion are at risk of straining a neck muscle.
- Poor Posture: Your neck supports your head. If the weight of your head is not adequately supported, neck tension occurs. Poor posture includes hunching over a computer and phone.
- Teeth Grinding: Clenching your teeth strains the muscles in your neck.
- Exercise: Just like your legs might be sore after a run, Engaging your neck muscles in movement can cause soreness too.
- Improper Sleeping Positions: Your head and neck should be aligned with the rest of your body when you sleep.
- Heavy Bags: Carrying heavy bags on your shoulders can strain the muscles in your neck.
- Stress: When you are stressed, you may unconsciously tense the muscles in your neck
- Trauma: A car accident or fall can cause whiplash and injure the muscles in your neck.
How to Alleviate Neck Pain in Chicago
Now that you know all about the causes of neck pain Chicago, here are some ways to treat it:
- Stretch! Some stretches such as the seated neck stretch and the chin to chest stretch can alleviate pain.
- Get a massage.
- Apply heat or ice to the affected area.
- Soak in a hot or saltwater bath.
- Take an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication such as Motrin, Advil, or Aleve.
- Do yoga
- Physical therapy
How Free Body Physical Therapy Can Help
If you have neck pain Chicago, Free Body Physical Therapy can help! While resting your neck may seem helpful, it is essential to move the neck muscles to recover fully. Our team will treat your pain using gentle therapeutic stretches and strengthening exercises. If you have neck pain Chicago, don’t wait; contact us and make an appointment!