A muscle strain is when a muscle is damaged, or its attached tendon is damaged. Muscle damage can happen to some or all parts of the muscle fiber. The tearing of muscle fiber can also affect blood vessels leading to bruising of the area. If you need physical therapy Lincoln Park Chicago, we will treat your muscle strains or other injuries you experience. Contact Free Body Physical Therapy today to learn more!
Different Grades of Muscle Strains and their Symptoms
Along with the severity of muscle strain, the symptoms can also vary from extreme to mild. The list of symptoms are as following but are not limited to:
- Grade 1: Mild strain; muscle fiber is tender and painful. But normal strength is maintained.
- Grade 2: Moderate strain; People who experience this type of muscle strain experience pain and tenderness. There is also a visible loss of strength and, at times, bruising.
- Grade 3: This is when a strain becomes a complete tear. The muscle becomes two separate pieces. The pain is considerable, as well as discoloration and swelling. There also can be a noticeable gap between the two torn muscles.
Treating Muscle Strain
Some who experience muscle strain sometimes don’t know they have a torn muscle. Sometimes they find out when they go to their doctor. In most cases, an x-ray would be unnecessary since the torn muscle can be prominent. Here are some treatments for muscle strains of any kind:
- Surgery ( for major or complete tears)
- For early signs of a muscle tear, apply ice and heat
- PRICE (Protection, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation).
- Over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug to help with the pain.
How Physical Therapy Lincoln Park Chicago Can Help With Muscle Strain?
The experienced doctors at Free Body Physical Therapy Lincoln Park Chicago can help you with your recovery. However, some of the healing can be done at home by using the PRICE method. There is an added benefit when you have Physical Therapy Lincoln Park Chicago to provide practical exercises to recuperate the strength you once had. Our team can get you back to doing your favorite physical activities, like working out or bike riding. Contact us today to schedule an appointment for expert care!